The DOT Hazmat: Carrier Requirements - Rail course is intended for students who are involved with the shipment of hazardous materials by railway. The objectives of this training is to address the requirements for transporting hazardous materials by railway as found in 49 CFR Part 174 of the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR).
- Compare the general operating requirements for the DOT and the railroad industry in general;
- Identify the exceptions for the transportation of hazardous materials by rail;
- Describe the information found in the Segregation Table for Hazardous Materials for rail transport;
- Identify the documentation needed for rail cars within a train containing hazardous materials;
- Illustrate the proper positioning of placarded cars in a train using the Placard Group Table;
- Understand rail industry restrictions as they relate to the transportation of hazardous materials, including speeds, routes, and inspections; and
- Identify incident/accident reporting requirements.